Monday 9 March 2009

Lord's - The Home of Cricket

Out of the blue we got invited to go to London for the weekend (a big thank you to my Sister-in-Law). What to do on Saturday? I know, go to Lord's - the home of cricket!

Lord's Sign

I took the District line to Edgeware Road and then the Circle line to Baker Street and then walked, trying to get a No 13 bus to St. John's Wood. However, it was not straight forward. First of all I nearly ended up going in the wrong direction, I was pointed 'across the road' but how far? Which road? I don't know what I'm doing! So I walked and then found that all the bus stops had been suspended. So I walked and a No 13 bus went straight past a bus stop that said a No 13 bus stops here! So I walked and then finally got to a stop and on to a No 13 bus. No sooner had the bus started when 'the next stop for Lord's cricket ground' was announced! And that was the shortest of the stops on the route! Typical!

NW8

I stepped off the bus and there it was. A large concrete wall inset into the ground perimeter wall, with large, over-sized cricket balls on top! Love it!

The Home of CKET!

Just beyond was a glimpse of the Media Centre.

Media Centre

I walked around the whole of the ground as close as I could. Houses dominate one end and at one point I even walked past the house where Billy Fury once lived!.

Just walking around the outside, there is plenty to keep the cricket fan (O.K. Geek/Anorak) entertained

Yet To Come

A Sign!

On to the Bicentenary Gate

Another Sign!

And here was the Gate

The Bicentenary Gate


MCC

Cricket Behind Bars

I saw some cricket being played!

Bowling Screen

Oh, it was just a photograph...

I saw Kevin Pieterson!

Kevin Pieterson

Sort of...

By the time I got the main entrance again Lords was closing - I asked if I could get in to see the ground briefly but he had just locked up! Ah well next time...
(He did tell me England's Test score though - only 4 wickets had fallen though.)

On my way back I got to see the famous Father Time weather vane

The Weather Vane

A final look at the Investec Media Centre

Media Centre 1

Media Centre 2

Media Centre 3

The centre was designed by the late Jan Kaplicky and Amanda Levete of Future Systems.

I got back home to hear the fall of the 5th wicket - Collingwood lbw, bowled by Baker for 161 partnering Prior after a referral which gave Geoffry Boycott something to comment about! Then it was time for tea.


RP


Copyright © 2009 THE GREEN ORCHARD Ltd. All rights reserved.All other products or brand names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

No comments:

Post a Comment